Piloting electronic safety netting in primary care
14 Aug 2018
RM Partners is working with the NW London Cancer Primary Care Board to pilot an electronic safety netting tool in GP practices across Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon. The aim is to ensure that patients at higher risk of cancer are monitored and followed up to reduce the number of emergency presentations, and to increase the number of cancers, as well as other long term conditions, detected at an earlier stage.
The project involves:
- Mapping current safety netting activity and attitudes and assess training needs through an online survey across Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon CCGs
- Developing a training programme, including GP education and engagement events
- Rolling out the electronic safety netting approach to practices who would like to participate and who attend training events
- Developing an online tutorial to improve knowledge and confidence in using EMISweb for safety netting
- Modelling potential and actual impact on stage at diagnosis and emergency presentations as part of the evaluation
The first education and training event took place in Brent with 30 practices attending. A further event is being held in Hillingdon in October to improve attendance from this borough.
The online tutorial is now available to practices who have attended the events in order to gain feedback. The surveys are underway and will be complete by the end of 2018.
The online tutorial is available here.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org